Princes ELC

PRINCE ALFRED COLLEGE EARLY LEARNING CENTRE

An environment designed to foster creativity, provoke questions, provide challenges and celebrate the achievements of young children. We foster the development of integrity, curiosity, confidence, compassion and Christian principles.We encourage relationships of shared responsibility and mutual respect. We believe in fun and the joy and importance of childhood. We ensure an environment filled with a sense of humour, love of play and exploration, and a sense of community.

Friday, May 26, 2017

Angwin

Dear Families and Friends,

We have had a very productive week in the Angwin room. It has been a busy time reflecting on our trip to the zoo, making many maps and reflecting on the different animals we saw to create a book about our experiences. We had a big discussion reflecting upon why we use maps.

·  Sammy - To see where you have to go  
·  Walter - To find pirate treasure  
·  Lachlan - To show us where to go 
·  Walter - I showed everyone all around the zoo  
·  Paxton - I had a holiday to Queensland. We went to Movie World and I used a map to see where to go 
·   Roy - On the aeroplane I looked at the plane on the screen to show me the map of the way to China - 
·   Jed - First take a picture and give it to the others so they know what to look for 
·   Laila - We need to know the path to follow 
·   Edward - It can help people who don’t know how to find the rainbow birds  

We have continued our journey to map and share how we find the rainbow birds at PAC, creating our own class pamphlet. Next week we are going to be tour guides and take the Cooper room to find the rainbow birds using our map.

Our show and tell this week has been about the signs we have seen around us that Autumn is here!

Mrs Cooper - What are some of the signs that Autumn is here?
Alice - The leaves were going red, yellow and orange. They weren’t feeling well. The green ones are feeling happy.
Edie - The trees were naked.. all the branches were bare.
Sammy -All the trees’ clothes had come off!
Fred - The leaves were falling off the trees
Sammy - It’s freezing cold every night and every morning.
Sophia - The sky is grey and there’s rain.
Sammy - The ground is starting to turn green.
Edward - On the way to school I can’t see so many leaves on the trees.

Mrs Cooper - Why do you think the leaves fall off in Autumn?
Roy - Because it’s Autumn and the leaves always fall down then
Walter - The leaves die but the trees stay alive
Edward - I like collecting leaves too
Oscar - Sometimes I go to the playground near the footy shop and there are lots of leaves on the ground
Walter - Some trees are evergreen.. their leaves always stay green and never fall off

Other reflections and shared experiences were…
Chloe - I went for a walk when it was nearly dark. Mummy and I found lots of leaves… we have sorted them into colours… pink, purple, yellow, black and orange… not red though ‘cos they were poisonous!
Fred - We went to Kuitpo forest and I found a really long stick. Then I found a poisonous toadstool. It is beige. It was growing on a bridge.
Roy - My Dad helped me to pick up the leaves. Their colours are different – yellow, red, green and brown. The leaves were falling down.
Jason - My house is always getting leaves… we sweep up the leaves.
Oscar - These are flowers from my garden. The flowers are from plants. I like this one best (smelling a beautiful white rose)
Daniel B - I got these leaves from my Grandma’s house
Thomas - I went to a restaurant and there was an Autumn tree there. I saw a big leaf fall from the tree
Edie - My family went for a walk and we collected all these leaves

We are looking forward to working with our leaves to create some beautiful works of art next week.

Have a wonderful weekend!

Kind regards

Pip and Cass