Princes ELC

PRINCE ALFRED COLLEGE EARLY LEARNING CENTRE

An environment designed to foster creativity, provoke questions, provide challenges and celebrate the achievements of young children. We foster the development of integrity, curiosity, confidence, compassion and Christian principles.We encourage relationships of shared responsibility and mutual respect. We believe in fun and the joy and importance of childhood. We ensure an environment filled with a sense of humour, love of play and exploration, and a sense of community.

Friday, March 10, 2017

Cooper

Dear Cooper families,

Our caterpillar has been growing bigger and bigger all week. Hopefully it waits until after the weekend to wrap itself up in a cocoon so that we can see the process happen. The children have been checking on the caterpillar each day and observing any changes that they notice.  

We have started to talk about Harmony Day in the Cooper room. We have started these discussions by reading the story '10 little fingers and 10 little toes 'by Mem fox. This story explains that we are all different and come from different places and different families but we all have 10 little fingers and 10 little toes. This book prompted a discussion about our families and how much we love them. This is the dialogue taken from this conversation:

Miss Gilbert – How do you show someone that you love them?
Larissa – when they say goodnight they say goodnight love you don’t let the bed bugs bite
Ned – my mum loves me. Me and mum play outside.
Linda – my dad loves me and I love my mum.
Grace – my mum and daddy
Larissa – my family loves me. When my family loves me they play with me and love me.
Isaac S – Love is something you make for a person that you really really really like.
Ed - With our heart in our bodies. You can feel it.
Brian – my mum and dad just cuddle me.
Karl – I give them a hug and paint a flower for mum or for dad or for Frtiz.
Olivia – With a kiss and a cuddle. I am kind to them.
Miss Gilbert – loving someone is about being kind to them
Brian – and not hurting. But I cuddle my mum and my dad.
Isaac S – you could give them some of my toys and then they give it back to me. It’s called sharing.
James – When we have fire trucks we don’t have to share. I be nice to Cody.
Miss Gilbert – how are you nice to Cody?
James – I play with him and I am nice to him and I share my toys with him.
Samuel – I be nice to them and not push him. I play with Brian, I play with him Miss Gilbert.

Next week the children will be engaging in a whole class art experience to express our individual views on what Harmony means to us.

We hope that you have a lovely and safe long weekend.


Love Miss Gilbert and Mr Richards