Princes ELC

PRINCE ALFRED COLLEGE EARLY LEARNING CENTRE

An environment designed to foster creativity, provoke questions, provide challenges and celebrate the achievements of young children. We foster the development of integrity, curiosity, confidence, compassion and Christian principles.We encourage relationships of shared responsibility and mutual respect. We believe in fun and the joy and importance of childhood. We ensure an environment filled with a sense of humour, love of play and exploration, and a sense of community.

Friday, March 17, 2017

Angwin

Dear Families,

We have had a very productive week in the Angwin room. We loved having some Mums and Dads come for the Dancify concert on Tuesday. The highlight was when they joined in and danced too!

The children have been so fascinated with the creatures we have collected and are observing to notice changes in their lifecycles. Our two frogs that have come up from Mattingley are continuing to grow and eat lots of crickets! Mrs Prest has given us a beautiful monarch caterpillar who is eating lots of leaves. Lochlann brought in a fascinating chrysalis from his garden. He told us all about it and then after lunch, we discovered hundreds of baby Praying Mantis’ had hatched in our warm room! We even got to see them emerging from the chrysalis! Other children have become interested in bees after a couple of children had bee stings… We investigated what bees do, where they live and more about hives. Then we have started to make our own hive.

The children have loved playing in our pirate ship, designing maps, dressing up and searching everywhere for treasure! We have had lots of talks about being safe and kind pirates which has led us to discuss what it means to be safe..
Here are some of our ideas…

Jason: It means not dangerous
Audrey: Fire alarms go off if it is not safe.
Chloe: If there’s a bad guy in your house you have to call the police to come and make it safe.
Alina: No fighting
Lilah: You stay near your family to be safe from bad guys
Alice: When you play pirates you need to be nice and safe. Real pirates use guns and cannons but not us… we are kind pirates!
Lochlann: I feel safe when I’m on my couch with my pet cat Elmo
Alina: I feel safe in my home

Together we brainstormed other people who can help us feel safe…
Ambulance officers can help us feel safe if we are sick or hurt
Police officers can help us feel safe if we are lost or have had an accident
Firemen can keep us safe from fires
Then we went on…

Oscar: I feel safe when it’s the middle of the night and I am with Mummy and Daddy.
Billy: I feel safe when I stayed near Mummy at the gardens.
Jason: Signs tell us what we need to do to be safe, like when the floor is slippery in the toilets and the teachers clean the floor and put the yellow sign out
James: I hold my mummy and Daddy’s hand to feel safe near the road.
Lilah: Gates and fences keep me safe from the pool.
Walter: When you are safe you need to lock every single door, even the balcony door… so the baddies don’t come in. Then they can’t come in and you are safe.
Sidney: I feel safe if no baddies come
Felix: I feel safe when my Daddy doesn’t go to work
Oliver: I feel safe when my Mum and Dad are playing toys with me.
Audrey: I feel safe when there is no fighting

This exploration of ideas will continue as our term goes on…

Have a lovely weekend!
Kind Regards,
Pip and Coney