Princes ELC

PRINCE ALFRED COLLEGE EARLY LEARNING CENTRE

An environment designed to foster creativity, provoke questions, provide challenges and celebrate the achievements of young children. We foster the development of integrity, curiosity, confidence, compassion and Christian principles.We encourage relationships of shared responsibility and mutual respect. We believe in fun and the joy and importance of childhood. We ensure an environment filled with a sense of humour, love of play and exploration, and a sense of community.

Friday, March 23, 2018

Angwin


Dear Families,

What a wonderful week in Angwin! There have been many investigations happening in our room, from observing waterlily experiments to sorting colourful leaves from our walk up to the Preparatory School to welcoming our Year 6 reading buddies. Every day has included rich and authentic learning opportunities for our children.

On Tuesday as we were exploring the emotion “happy” the children shared their thoughts about what makes them happy. Here are some of their thoughts…

I feel happy when I play chasey on the grass outside - William
I feel happy when I play Lego - Ethan
I feel happy when I visit my neighbours and they give me icecream - Stirling
I feel happy when I see my friend Elsa - Angus
I feel happy when I see my Grandies in Brisbane - Tom D.
I feel happy when I come to kindy - Levi
I feel happy when I eat chocolate chip icecream - James
I feel happy when my Daddy picks me up -  Ben
I feel happy when I hug my Mummy - Tom H.
I feel happy seeing my new house - Kaeshav
I feel happy going on a go-kart on the path - Hridhaan
I feel happy when I have icecream at the Fringe - Riani
I feel happy when Mummy cooks me pasta with red sauce - Ruby
I feel happy when I find chocolate - Parker
I feel happy when I see my family - Nathan
I feel happy when I eat a sausage with sauce - Jaiyen

The children were amazed by the car models the older Tech Studies boys showcased in the RED centre with Mr Gilbert. These opportunities are wonderful for our children to interact with the older boys and see some of the incredible opportunities our College offers.

We are exploring colours and at the moment using the inspiration of the artist Claude Monet who painted a series of waterlily paintings using cool, calm colours. The children have created amazing water like paintings too. Our next step will be to create some similar colours on material so we can make our peaceful pillows for relaxation time. Relaxation time is such an important part of our day, where the children rest on pillows listening to peaceful music or a relaxation story, helping to slow their body down and just be. As children grow it is so important for their health and wellbeing to learn ways to regulate their bodies, by resting, breathing and being still.

A highlight of our week has been setting up the Easter bakery, with product signs, a cash register, hot cross bun playdough and even Easter eggs. To make this space successful we have drafted up an essential agreement with the children, discussing how many children do they think can work in this space at once, what does a shop keeper do? What does a baker do? What role do the customers play? So many wonderful ideas and sharing have come from the children as we have planned and established our bakery.

Wishing you family time to create special memories with your children this weekend!

Kind regards,
Pip and Liana