Princes ELC

PRINCE ALFRED COLLEGE EARLY LEARNING CENTRE

An environment designed to foster creativity, provoke questions, provide challenges and celebrate the achievements of young children. We foster the development of integrity, curiosity, confidence, compassion and Christian principles.We encourage relationships of shared responsibility and mutual respect. We believe in fun and the joy and importance of childhood. We ensure an environment filled with a sense of humour, love of play and exploration, and a sense of community.

Friday, July 30, 2010

In the Classrooms

Langley
This week Gabe brought in a snap dragon to show his friends in the Langley room. We decided to put it in some blue water to see what it would do.
“Look! It turned into blue!” cried Jack O
“It’s blue” added Gabe
“Flower, flower” said Owen
“What happened?” asked Oliver L
“Blue flower” answered Gabe “cos it snip snip” he added imitating a pair of scissors.
“Tips on it” said Jack J
The next day the children were eager to see what had happened to the flower and we decided to do some water colour paintings to illustrate the change. We have now added Gabe’s flower to our nature table. If your child is excited by something natural, please feel free to bring it in for our nature table and to share with the other children.
Kind regardsJess, Adele, Kerry and Jennifer

Mead
Dear Mead Room Parents,
We have had fun continuing our exploration of shadows this week. The children have all been involved in creating a silhouette of their profile. They have also been involved in creating and manipulating their own shadows using props and a variety of materials, resulting in many entertaining performances! We have also played shadow matching games, matching shadows to pictures of common household items.
Best wishes,
Emma, Susan and Emma

Cooper
The Cooper children have had an exciting week of exploration in our room. They have investigated different textures and materials and the effects of light on them. At the light box, the children sorted, arranged and stacked little mirrors, pieces of coloured perspex and glass. They were interested in the reflective, transparent and colour changing effects of the light, "It's glassy" said Alex as he looked through a blue glass cube. At the collage table, the children glittered and glued various reflective and shiny recycled materials and watched as the sun and light shone on them, "Star" said Daisy, "A sun" said Erin. We have hung these sparkly suns and stars over the block corner where they catch the light from our windows beautifully, please come in to Cooper and see how they shine!
Kind regards,
Ali and Susan

Chapple
Shadows, shadows, everywhere! During our Show and Tell this week, we asked to bring in something that had a light in it. We really enjoyed finding out about all the different sorts of things we brought in such as glow stations, homemade lanterns, all kinds of torches, books with space bodies and even a remote control moon. Of course we then had a great discussion about whether the moon really has a light in it, or if it has light ON it! We are so curious in Chapple!
During outside play we enjoyed drawing the shapes of the shadows that our friends made. We discovered that our shadows in the afternoon are much longer than we really are. Now we want to find out just why that is. When we got back inside we did some mathematics and we had to work out a way to measure our shadows. We found out that to be accurate we needed to make sure that our measuring tool was the same size. Here is what we found out!
“I’m going to use the long blocks to measure. I used 5 long blocks and I need 2 little blocks at the end.” Kalan
“I’m counting how long I am. I am that long; 7 blocks long.” Alex
“I need to get more of the short blocks. So, I need these 2 to make more to measure me – and that’s 7.” Katie
“It is 18 lengths. I used my hand to measure.” Olin
“You can’t use this one. It’s too small so you can’t use it to measure because it’s different and they have to be the same.” Sebastian
Chapple Room made ANZAC biscuits. You should ask us when they were first made, why they were made and how they were kept from going rotten as they were sent across the seas to our Australian Troops.
Kind regards,
Kate and Juliana

Edgerley
This week in Edgerley we have been making all sorts of discoveries and proposing lots of ideas about shadows and light.
“When I ride my bike one way (direction) my shadow is on this side of me but when I ride my bike the other way (direction) it goes on the other side on me!” said Luca
“When your shadow goes into the dark it goes away from you” said Carmine
“Your shadow is attached to you, it can’t rip away from you” said Hugo

We thought a lot about our shadows.
“If my shadow could talk it would say to me ‘Hello, lets go for a run together’” said Louie
“If my shadow could talk it would say ‘I want to go for a run on my own!’” said Lachlan Th
“If my shadow could talk to me it would say ‘I love you!’” said Roshan
We have wonderful shadows!
Regards
Mel and Rosalie