Princes ELC

PRINCE ALFRED COLLEGE EARLY LEARNING CENTRE

An environment designed to foster creativity, provoke questions, provide challenges and celebrate the achievements of young children. We foster the development of integrity, curiosity, confidence, compassion and Christian principles.We encourage relationships of shared responsibility and mutual respect. We believe in fun and the joy and importance of childhood. We ensure an environment filled with a sense of humour, love of play and exploration, and a sense of community.

Friday, March 15, 2013

Mead Room






Dear Friends and Families,
This week the children have extended  their interest in gardening and have spent some time planting beans and a range of different herbs in our veggie patch. They have engaged all their senses as they have dug, watered, smelt the leaves and planted all the different plants. The interactions and shared discussions highlight the way children are learning through active engagement  with each other and when play is purposeful.
Tom: We’re gonna plant them
Jock: Oh but no rain!
James: I want a green shovel
Tom: It’s a bit hard for me (digging)
Olympia: Ohhh, a bit of dirt on me
Tom: I’m going to grow some food
Olympia: I’m going to grow these flowers
David: Look at these holes!
Tom: It smells like yum (lemon thyme)  If I see anyone pulling out my plant I will say no don’t pull out my plant because we don’t pull out plants do we?
Tom: All the basil’s falling apart when I’m pinching the roots.
Olympia: Mint.. have a smell of it! They smell fresh.
Dougal: I’m digging where James throws the worms.. Worms help the plants to grow. I dug a big hole! Now what do we need to do?
Olympia: Water!
Kind Regards,
Emma, Pip and Amelia