Princes ELC

PRINCE ALFRED COLLEGE EARLY LEARNING CENTRE

An environment designed to foster creativity, provoke questions, provide challenges and celebrate the achievements of young children. We foster the development of integrity, curiosity, confidence, compassion and Christian principles.We encourage relationships of shared responsibility and mutual respect. We believe in fun and the joy and importance of childhood. We ensure an environment filled with a sense of humour, love of play and exploration, and a sense of community.

Friday, August 21, 2009

In the classroom

Langley
This week in Langley the children have been spending much playtime outside in the garden, exploring all things green and playing with the new gross motor equipment, including bikes, large cars and digging equipment. The children have also played alongside each other very well in experiences such as water play, listening games and turn taking experiences. All the children are showing a great interest in the natural outdoor environment as part of the learning program and in order to extend this interest we have been discussing water conservation and poured our water from water play on the plants when we had finished playing! As an extension of this interest we are planning to plant some flowers with the children in planter pots next week and encourage the children to care for them.
Andrea, Adele, Penny and Chloe

Mead
Dear Mead Parents,
We have lots of special people in our room and have been looking at what makes us special this week. Here are some reasons the children gave when asked what makes them special:

Tyler: My bird makes me special and I make Skye special.
Kristian: I play with my brother.
Jamison: I like playing games.
Katie: My birthday makes me special.
Alex: My smile.
Max G: Giving somebody a hug.
Luke: Something special about me is Vasilis and Daddy are my friends.
Louis: I like playing with my Thomas toys.
Amy: I know everything. When my mother let me do it I can do it.

Best wishes,
Emma, Susan and Amanda

Edgerley
This week in Edgerley we have enjoyed exploring our new computers. We were particularly enthusiastic about our problem solving adventure games. Some boys found it beneficial to work with a partner in order to solve clues and build a map of the program in their mind. Other boys enjoyed taking on the role of the teacher as they showed their friends how to manipulate the mouse (it can be trickier than it looks!) Next week we plan to work together to come up with a way to help us take turns at the computer fairly, as Tristen said “we really need to make a list!”
Kind Regards
Mel, Todd and Pip

Chapple
Having a ball! We have been making great use of our new resources and the big hill!
Kind Regards
Alex, Nicola and Sarah

Chinese
This week in Mandarin Chinese students enjoyed a story by Bill Martin Jr. called Brown Bear Brown Bear, What do you see? We began to learn a very tricky song about colours and children observed the differences between some of the characters. Did you know that if you look closely at the character for black you can see the black burnt out coals of an extinguished fire at the bottom? The pinyin for black is hēisè (but it sounds a bit like hey sir!)